DI-WHY??

While I get on with the chest of drawers project I thought I’d own up to a couple of disasters that occurred while painting the piano stool. I’m quite prone to these small disasters and like to call them…

Drawing (2)

In fact, if I’m being honest I first directed the term towards my husband when he tried to put a TV up on the wall. As you may have guessed it fell off. And broke. And we’d had it less than a day. Ouch.

Anyway, I have a tendency to get a bit impatient and rush things. As I mentioned in my piano stool post I needed to glue the legs in on one side as they kept coming out of the main frame. I put some glue where I thought it should be and then tried to push the two bits together by hand. This got me nowhere so I picked up the nearest thing to hand and start bashing (deeming the mallet in the under the stairs cupboard too far away.) Unfortunately, my object of choice was a pot of wood varnish that I’d just bought for the chest of drawers. After about 2 whacks the lid popped off and every drop of varnish poured out all over the carpet (yes I hadn’t even thought to use the bottom of the tin.) In my rush to clear up I then knelt on the tube of superglue that I had left on the floor with the lid off. Then got it on my hands. Then tried to peel some off and peeled off some skin as well. Then had to wear a jungle animals plaster for the next 3 days.

Fortunately all of the carpets in the house are currently 70’s hideous and so the fact that a big patch is now crunchy and discoloured doesn’t really matter. My jeans, however, are ruined (yes it was one of those occasions when I hadn’t changed my clothes first.) I also had to buy a new tin of varnish which added to the cost of the project. My finger is now mostly recovered, though I’m now sporting a jungle animals plaster on the other hand after managing to grate my thumb (I really need to buy some adult plasters.)

Hopefully I’ve learnt a bit from the experience and will strive to do better next time. I suspect, however, this won’t be the last time a DI-WHY?? moment occurs.

Quick update on the chest of drawers…I used an electric sander for the first time today and it was FUN!!

 

Piano Stool Makeover: Wood and Velvet Repaint

IMG_9879

 

My very very old, falling-apart piano stool had been in desperate need of a makeover for years and last week I finally got around to starting it. Step one was a bit of glue as one side kept coming loose. Then I got the Rust-oleum satin furniture paint in ‘Cotton’ out yet again (I promise I’ll use more interesting colours soon!)

After 4 coats on the visible bits and 2 on the rest it looked better but the velvet top was still in need of recovering. I do own a staple gun but this velvet was nailed to the actual wood and the seat does not detach so staples weren’t really an option. I considered getting some new fabric, taking the old nails out and using them to hammer on the new fabric (or using new ones if necessary). However, I’d been reading up about using paint on velvet and other fabrics and since it was such a small piece I thought I’d give it a try. I could always recover it later if everything went wrong and I do love my paint. Here’s the stool before…

IMG_9812.JPG

I used Dylon fabric paint in navy, which I could pick up from my local Hobbycraft (again I was impatient to wait) and which claimed to keep the material soft. Unfortunately the pots are really tiny so I ended up buying four to do two coats. I’ve since realised you can buy a bigger pot, but quite a lot bigger so only worth it if you’re doing a large chair or sofa. I was really pleased with the results…

IMG_9814.JPG

The fabric is not quite as soft but still feels and looks like velvet and I love the rich colour. You can also iron the fabric to lock the colour in.

All that was left to do was put a trim around it. I used some velvet ribbon from Hobbycraft that I bought for under £2. Then the usual wax and it was finished…

IMG_9877.JPG

All in all I’m very pleased. It looks loads better and cost hardly anything to do up. Result! And I will definitely be painting more fabric in the future as it’s so easy. As long as you’re not painting a really comfortable sofa I don’t think the slight decrease in softness is a big problem. Here’s what I used for the project…

 

IMG_0024.JPG

For my next project I’m tackling a chest of drawers. And (shock horror) I won’t be painting it white!