Lego storage box

Following my Lego Decoupage: chest of drawers project I caught the Lego bug  and decided to use some of the leftover wrapping paper I had to decorate a basic storage box for my son. He got a lot of Lego for his birthday so more storage was seriously needed. I bought a basic box from B&Q to ‘do up’, fondly hoping that maybe a fun, colourful box would encourage Alex to leave less Lego on the floor and to tidy it all neatly away instead (3 guesses how that one turns out!) This is the box I bought (with a black lid) as I wanted it to be quite sturdy and to be able to secure the top.

img_3864-1

I painted ‘Mod Podge’ in gloss onto the box then added the paper, left it to dry and did 2 top coats leaving 20 minutes of drying time between each (as I did with the chest of drawers). Because it’s just for storage I didn’t worry too much about how well the paper overlapped or matched up. Once I’d finished that I decided to paint the lid and top of the main box blue to make it look a bit cheerier. I used some left-over Rust-Oleum chalk finish paint in ‘ink blue’. For the finishing touch I stuck a little more paper across the handle and here is the finished result:

img_3861img_3862img_3863

It definitely looks more cheerful and now houses all of Alex’s Lego train set bits to hopefully keep it in one place. The rest of the Lego still spends most of its time on the floor waiting to attack my feet!

In other news, building works have finally started on our extension – hooray!! The foundations are done so actual building will begin soon. In a few weeks I will hopefully have at least one lovely room and somewhere to take photos of my projects without scary carpets/wallpaper and curtains in the background. My Pine Chest of Drawers Makeover has also been doing well on Pinterest with over 100 pins now and it’s lovely to think that hopefully there are other people out there getting inspiration to do some furniture painting.

I have started work on the Jack and Jill chairs in the garden as well. Unfortunately the first chair took me a lot longer than I thought so only one half of the chair set is done. The builders have since taken over the garden and are now hogging the chair for their breaks!

img_3871

This will be a good test of how durable it is but I think it might be a while before I’m able to get the whole thing finished. Watch this space!

Here’s what I used for the storage box…

img_3867

Making Pom-Pom Cushions

Anyone who has been following my blog will know that I’m fairly new to DIY/upcycling in general and tend to stick to painting. I’ve never been particularly artistic so crafts scare me a little but last week a friend of mine organised for a group of us to do a workshop making pom-pom cushions. It sounded fun, I knew there would be help at hand if it all went wrong (yes that help was needed!) and Prosecco would also be on offer (yay!) so I jumped at the chance. The company who runs the workshop is called Me Time and you can check out their Facebook page here.

Instead of the traditional ‘2 circles of cardboard’ we used proper pom-pom makers, and I will definitely be ordering some of these as they are fab. I wanted the cushion to match the colours of my new craft table as it will eventually live in the playroom so I chose dark blue for the cushion itself and made one large pom-pom for each corner: 2 in teal, 2 in neon pink. The pom-pom making was fairly straightforward but believe it or not I managed to completely mess one of mine up (it was declared unsalvageable!) Fortunately the lovely ladies of Me Time helped me out (at one point one of them was untangling my wool while the other remade my pom-pom) so I ended up with a gorgeous cushion that I’m very happy with. Here is the finished article…

Pom-poms will definitely be featuring again in a future project (once I’ve worked out how to make them without help!)